Friday, August 17, 2007

There Is No Unmarked Woman

As I looked over the table of contents in the 50 Essays Portable Anthology one essay caught my eye. There were no flashy abnormal words or highly descriptive adjectives. My eyes just caught the word woman and I wondered what Deborah Tannen meant by saying there is no unmarked woman. So following this pondering I began to read her essay. Immediately I found myself engulfed inside her words and have her incredible rhetorical devices to thank.


When one begins reading an essay, the reader always hopes that the author will start out with a “bang” so to speak. The reader wants to immediately be drawn and interested in the essay and Tannen does just that. She uses her first couple of paragraphs to hook the reader as all good writers should. The way she achieves this is she paints a scene visually with her words. It helps the reader to stay focused and entertained in the beginning so they actually want to keep reading. I’ve found it also was a good way to introduce her main points in the essay.


Word choice says a lot about an author. One can sound childish, scholarly, or even disturbed with the help of word choice. I found that Tannen came off as intellectual but casual with her choice of words. She chose no large scholarly words that most would have trouble understanding. Instead, she chose words that intellectually described her points. I found this method very pleasing while reading.


When it came to sentence structure Tannen excelled. A good variety of both regular lengths, abnormally long, and substantially short sentences could be found. She may have casually favored the longer sentence. Although, it wasn’t enough that one got annoyed with it. To conclude, sentence-wise her essay was well written.


As for fluency and tone, both appealed to me. Tannen had a smooth charming fluency with her words. I did not find a single choppy spot as I read. I never found myself having to go over what I just read, because it continued at a smooth faster pace. Personally, I found her tone to come off as slightly feminist. It may have been just the topic her essay was on, but she still seemed to almost blame men or resent them for the fact that they had the choice to be unmarked or not.


In summarization, Tannen used the help of rhetorical devices to her advantage. By using good sentence fluency, an interesting tone, fantastic word choice, and imagery she hooks and keeps the audience. My applause goes out to Tannen for creating an essay were a teen might be able to read all the way through it without pausing to reread a section because of either a lack of interest, or complexity in words.

7 comments:

michellek said...

Kelsie,
I just wanted to applaud you on your noticing the sentence lengths! It's so important to note because it really does have an effect on teh reader. Millions of long sentences make you want to take a nap and many short ones feel abrupt and jerky.

Hattie said...

kelsie,
I think that it was really awesome how you talked about sentence length. Not everyone is going to take the time to notice the variety of sentence lengths she used! I also liked how you gave an openion on her, personaly, by says she came off slightly femenist.

Dan Shepler said...

Since I have yet to finish reading 10 essays, I was having trouble choosing what to read. However, after reading your post about Tannen's essay, I know that there is one less for me to decide upon. I especially liked the paragraph where you talked about word choice. Since I am trying to read a sci-fi book while also reading the essays, it helps not having to struggle over words in both books (sci-fi is the devil when it comes to crazy words).

Skye Olson said...

Kelsie~
I definitely agree with you that the intro (with the descriptions of the three women) was a great way to catch the reader's attention. The fluency also really did make the essay easy to read because it flowed so smoothly. However, I don't really think that the author sounded like she was resentful to men; rather, it seemed like she blamed society in general for causing women to be "marked."

kelsie said...

In response to the end part of your comment Skye. After reading what you had to say i re-read the essay, with what you had to say about her blaming society instead of resenting men for the fact that they are "unmarked" in mind. Now I completely see what you are talking about and totally agree. She is definatly blaming society instead of men and i appreciate you pointing that out. It brought a whole other meaning to the essay. I guess it is kind of easy to misinterpret the tone that she uses in this particlular essay.

Rachelle said...

Kelsie,
First of all, I love how you mentioned sentence length. After I read your post, I went back and re-read the essay and found that what you said was true. I never noticed her use of sentence length before, and I realized that it does make the essay more enjoyable. I also agree that the introduction was great. It grabbed my attention right off the bat.

Kyla said...

Kelsie,
I like how you tell what device you are talking about so the reader knows what is going on. Sometimes people assume that the reader knows what they are talking about and it is really hard to keep up. I also liked your introduction and second paragraph, they both really hooked me and I wanted to keep reading.