Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just Walk On By

Just Walk On By is an essay driven by emotion and resentment. Brent Staples writes about his experiences of continually being mistaken for a criminal, as a young black male. Clearly, anger fuels Staples’ writing, yet he maintained a calmness throughout the essay and did not point fingers. He understood why females acted the way they did around him. They had a reason to: young black males are drastically overrepresented by perpetrators of street violence. Brent Staples learned this growing up around fellow African American men who ended up in jail.
At the beginning of the essay, Brent’s word choice was purposely misleading. He started out by saying, “My first victim was a woman…” This led me to think that the author was a criminal. But as I read on I realized that I had made the same mistake many other people had. As a young black male in Chicago, Brent Staples had been mistaken for a burglar, murderer, or simply a vicious man. He did an excellent job describing the fear he saw when he walked by people: “They seem to have their faces on neutral, and with their purse straps strung across their chests bandolier-style, they forge ahead as though bracing themselves against being tackled” (363).
There were a few rhetorical devices the author used that really helped him get his point across. An onomatopoeia is the use of words whose pronunciation imitates the sound the word describes. Staples uses this to create the atmosphere he often endured on pg 363 when he says, “I could cross in front of a car stopped at a traffic light and elicit the thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk of the driver- black, white, male, or female- hammering down the door locks.” Explaining how innocent he really is, Staples says, “As a softy who is scarcely able to take a knife to a raw chicken – let alone hold one to a person’s throat – I was surprised, embarrassed, and dismayed all at once” (pg 363). This is an example of an analogy, which compares two things.
In my opinion, the best use of a rhetorical device is the author’s last sentence when he uses a simile. It is about Staples’ whistling classical music being the “equivalent of the cowbell that hikers wear when they know they are in bear country” (pg 365). The cowbell is supposed to warn bears to stay away, just as Brent’s whistling warns concerned strangers that he is harmless. As a white female, it is impossible for me to completely understand the experiences of Brent Staples. Even though I too have been judged by my appearance, I have no idea what it’s like have people running from me, scared. The fact that Staples would have to walk by a building he was about to enter just because he doesn’t want skittish people to think he’s following them, is unacceptable. On the other hand, Chicago has some frightening people that might be harmful. It is a difficult topic to write about, however Brent Staples drew a great portrayal of his point of view.

9 comments:

Connorj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connorj said...

I really like how solid your essay is. When I put an essay together, I kind of just throw the words together and hope they work, which yields a bunch of choppy sentences and rudimentary errors. Whereas I can't find any problem with your essay whatsoever, no matter how critically I look at it. You must've worked hard on it; good job.

Gabe said...

I liked how you broke apart and showed how you understood the essay that Staples wrote. How you still could hear your voice through your word choice instead of being barried in the analysis part of the essay was a great touch, I really liked it.

ashapiro said...

I vouch for connor’s comment that your essay was solid and very well planned out. I was actually thrown a little of guard by your last few statements. I aggree that it is unacceptable to have to undergoe the judgement that the author apparently endured. Then you stated “On the other hand, Chicago has some frightening people that might be harmful.” So do you think the way the author was treated was unfair but the fear of the people passing the judgement was justified?

Chris said...

Like others have said, I like that there is a purpose behind your essay instead of just trying to finish the homework. I also like how you mention how Staples word choice was misleading for a reason and how he had been mistaken for a lot of things he wasn't.

Callie R. said...

Alicia asked, "So do you think the way the author was treated was unfair but the fear of the people passing the judgement was justified?"
My answer is that it is wrong for people to stereotype young black men as criminals so their judgement was not justified. Being cautious is one thing...but the rude eye contact uncalled for

Nicole said...

I haven't read this essay but your strong analysis covered everything, there was nothing you could have added, and it definately makes me want to read "Just Walk On By."

Andres said...

I liked how you looked at both sides of the story. Very Nice!

mo k said...

In life,try to be yourself.No matter what you do, people always try to judge the book by the cover. The Author sould have just be himself and carry on with his normal buisness rather than pleasing the white man.