Sunday, August 26, 2007

Lost in the Kitchen

After reading the required ten essays and a few more, I found that one essay stood out in my mind. Lost in the Kitchen by Dave Barry was entertaining, funny, and made total sense to me. The introduction grabbed my attention when the example of Thanksgiving dinner preparations came into view. Barry’s purpose in this essay was to explain why men don’t help out in the kitchen, and Thanksgiving is a perfect example. It was Barry’s opening sentence that really grabbed my attention: “Men are basically scum when it comes to helping out in the kitchen.” The word choice is what makes this sentence grab our attention. “Scum” is a harsh word to use when referring to the entire male race, but when it’s a man stating this; it softens this harsh word and lightens the mood of the essay.
As for rhetorical devices, Barry right off the bat used a simile on page 61: “…most men make themselves as useful around the kitchen as ill-trained Labrador retrievers.” On page 62, anaphora is used: “I realize this is awful. I realize this sounds just like Ozzie and Harriet. I also realize that here are some males out there, with hyphenated last names, who have advanced much farther than Gene and I have, who are not afraid to stay home full time and get coated with baby vomit while their wives work as test pilots, and who go into the kitchen on a daily basis to prepare food for other people, as opposed to going in there to get a beer and maybe some peanut butter on a spoon.” Imagery was also used in this essay to further explain why men are afraid to enter the kitchen. “Surrounding Arlene are thousands of steaming cooking containers… She quickly becomes enshrouded in steam.”
Another rhetorical device that was used on page 62 was asyndeton. “I think most males rarely prepare food for others, and when they do, they have their one specialty dish (spaghetti, in my case) that they prepare maybe twice a year in a very elaborate production, for which they expect to be praised as if they had developed, right there in the kitchen, a cure for heart disease.” This brings me to sentence length. The last example I gave you was a long sentence that carried on and on. Most of the sentences in this essay were shorter, but others were longer. There was a good balance between stretched out and compressed sentences making Lost in the Kitchen flow extremely well. Barry’s tone throughout this essay is easy going and humorous.
Contributing to the tone was the absence of statistics. Statistics were not used in this essay because it was more of an experience-based writing making it more enjoyable as I see it. Because Barry used real-life examples it made it easier for the reader to relate to what he was trying to get through. Lost in the Kitchen was a light essay, but I got a lot out of it.

5 comments:

Hattie said...

Rachelle!
I love how you used direct lines from the essay. Such as "men are scum when it comes to helping out in the kitchen". I read this essay as well and I found it funny. I also liked his word choice, the word "scum", not many authors would use that word! It is very harsh to discribe an entire half of this planets population that way! I also like how he made references to television such as Ozzie and Harriet as well as the Super Bowl.

michellek said...

Rachelle,
I loved your blog. The portion you mentioned about word choice really stuck out to me because that occurred to me as well while I read this piece. Good point.

Nicole said...

Rachelle,
Great blog. I read this essay also and completely agree with you about his strong word choice and use of rhetorical devices. But his tone was very important and maybe you could have emphisized that a little bit more.

Hansen said...

It was a short essay and you covered every rhetorical device that Barry used. Not only did you include what devices Barry used but you also mentioned what he didn't use. This mentioning was obviously made by someone with a keen eye. Pointing out the lack of statistcs was an important remark. Naturally, a reader would only overlook what is not there. An amazing analysis, Rachelle.

Hansen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.