Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just Walk on By: Black Men and Public Space

Just Walk on By: Black Men and Public Space by Brent Staples was a very interesting and thought provoking piece. Through his writing he really captured my interest and got me thinking about the role prejudice plays in our lives and the world around us. Within this essay Brent Staples used several rhetorical strategies to make his writing not only stronger, but more meaningful.

Perhaps the simplest method used within his writing is metaphors, which is the comparison of two unlike things to one another for figurative effect. He uses this strategy in statements such as, "I chose, perhaps unconsciously, to remain a shadow--timid, but a survivor (page 364)." and, "I whistle melodies from Beethoven and Vivaldi...It is my equivalent of the cowbell that hikers wear when they know they are in bear country." Brent Staples uses this strategy to reveal how much he had to be on guard in order to survive. By using metaphors he allows the reader to better understand the position he was in and the precautions he was forced to take.

Another extremely effective writing technique the author uses is imagery. This is where he uses descriptive writing that draws on vivid sensory details and figurative language to re-create an experience for a reader. We see several examples of this in his work in statements such as, "I was to become thoroughly familiar with the language of fear (page 363)." or "Elsewhere...where sidewalks are narrow and tightly spaced buildings shut out the sky --things can get very taught indeed (page 363)." and "They seem to have set their faces on neutral, and with their purse straps strung across their chest bandolier-style, they forge ahead as though bracing themselves against being tackled (page 363)." This technique makes very easy for the reader to better experience the story that is being told. His language is very compelling and descriptive which better engages the reader as through it they can more easily relate to either the author who has been the cause of fear or one of the women who has been the victim of fear.

Another strategy that Brent Staples seems to employ is that of self-blame. Throughout his writing he makes statements that sound as if he believes it to be his fault that people are scared and prejudiced against him. Through doing so he engages the compassion and sympathy of the readers. We see examples of this when he states, "My first victim was a woman... (page 362)" or "I now take precautions to make myself less threatening (page 365)," and "...I first began to know the unwieldy inheritance I had come into--the ability to alter public space in ugly ways (page 362)."

Another technique that is used is the way the author shows how he reacts emotionally to these situations. By showing his emotions in his writing Brent Staples shows he is only human, just like everyone else, and therefore someone the readers can relate to as they have reacted in much the same manner to situations in their own lives. You see examples of these emotions when he says, "The kind of alienation that comes of being ever the suspect, a fearsome entity with whom pedestrians avoid making eye contact (page 363-364)," and "Over the years, I learned to smother the rage I felt at so often being taken for a criminal."

Overall, I enjoyed the way the author used more intricate and complex sentences with the occasional simple, short sentence. It gave it an unique style that made it all the more enjoyable to read, aided by it's simple storyline. I found this essay to be very enlightening towards prejudices some people are forced to face everyday. Brent Staples also added in details about his past and the situations he faced that enhanced the piece to not only make it more educational and thought-provoking, but believable.



5 comments:

Carolyn Ranten said...

I totally agree with you. The integration of long and short sentences makes a piece of writing much more enjoyable to read. And when talking about such a subject as prejudice, it's important to keep the reader happy, due to the somewhat depressing subject.

Callie R. said...

After I posted my analysis on this same essay I read yours and realized our interpretations were similar. Like you, I noticed the how the first sentence says, “My first victim was…” I thought it was interesting how you labeled it “self-blame” and that it was one of his strategies. I totally agree because it caught my attention.

Gabe said...

The first thing that caught my eye was your change of font, which, while not that influential, at least made me read the thing in the first place. and I have to say that my favorite part of your essay was your use of proofs. Good job!

ashapiro said...

Although I found this essay entertaining, i didn’t look at it with the same critical eye as you did. While reading your post I recognized your quotes, yet when I was reading them, I didn’t realize that they were rhetorical devices. You did an excellent job of locating the literary strategies and explaining how the author utilized them. I thought it was interesting that you labeled his writing style “self-blame.” Do you really believe that he was blaming himself (he wasn’t at fault) or that he was merely showing peoples’ obsurdity by speaking their thoughts?

Chasina said...

Your explanations of how the techniques effect the writing helped me to understand what the essay is about. Well done.