Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I get lost in the kitchen too.

Lost in the Kitchen by Steve Barry is an amusing story written about how men are basically hopeless in the kitchen. The story is taken from Barry’s own Thanksgiving experience in which he and his friend, Gene, unsuccessfully attempt to make themselves useful in preparing dinner. The two bumbling men are asked to carry out one specific job. WATCH THE CHILDREN. As Barry states in his essay. “You cannot watch small children and the Detroit Lions at the same time, and lets face it, the Detroit Lions are more interesting.” Barry ends his essay telling the reader about how most men rarely prepare food in the kitchen, and when they do, it’s their one special dish.

I personally found Dave Barry’s essay lighthearted and humorous, but that is not what I am going to talk about. I found quite a few rhetorical devices contained within Barry’s essay, but the one that I noticed the most was appositives. It is my opinion that Dave Barry used appositives to help his writing style to be wittier. Those few words within the commas impact the mood of the story drastically. After I first read this essay, I reread it without the appositives, and found it to be somewhat bland. The humor had seemed to just disappear from the essay.

The other thing that caught my eye was Dave Barry’s use of commoratio, which is repetition of a point several times in different words. This whole essay is about Dave Barry telling his reader how men are useless in the kitchen. He says in the first sentence “Men are still basically scum when it comes to helping out in the kitchen.” Later on the same page, Barry states “most men make themselves as useful around the kitchen as ill-trained Labrador retrievers.”

Although this essay is short, it is definitely in my opinion, one of the best essays in the bunch. He doesn’t use compassion to touch your heart, but rather his sense of humor, to tickle your funny bone!

9 comments:

Chris said...

Kelsey,
I originally passed up this essay but then after hearing some more about it I decided to read it. Like you said, his humor makes the short read fun. I never realized that if you took away the appositives then the whole mood of the story changed. Nice job.

Connorj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connorj said...

First of all, good job! I typically disagree with stereotypical remarks regarding men in the house, but all the same, we are somewhat inept in the housekeeping field. I agree with Chris too, his short humor makes the essay. I also like your lighthearted analysis of the essay, it makes it much more enjoyable to read.

Carolyn Ranten said...

And you thought the essay was witty! You are the most witty person ever. This was such a great analysis. I really liked how you added a touch of your own voice, while still focusing on the essay itself.

Nicole said...

This essay was one of the first I read and I completely agree with you on everythng, especially the fact that the author's humor is what makes the essay so good.

ashapiro said...

I credit the author’s sarcastic wit to appositives. Not only do they add voice to his humorous piece, it aids the writing in becoming relatable and the author more personable. I agree with your statement that the essay is proves that men are “basically hopeless in the kitchen.” I felt that this was the primary message being conveyed untill the last paragraph of the essay. “Before Women’s Liberation, men took care of the cars and women took care of the kitchen, whereas now that we have Women’s Liberation, men no longer feel obligated to take care of cars.” This leads me to believe that Dave Barry wasn’t speaking specifically about men in the kicthen, but a variety of places. There are certain places that men just don’t feel comfortable and choose to avoid.

Hansen said...

The fact that you reread the story without the appositives is quite interesting. It is an effective strategy for understanding rhetorical devices in this situation. I basically overlooked the use of appositives as a source of comedy. A good analysis.

Kyla said...

Kelsey,
I also read this essay and like you, found it very humorous. I agree with you about how he kept saying that men cannot cook in different parts of the essay. I, although disagreed with him because at my house my dad is the superior cook.

Andres said...

your review seemed almost as funny as the story. I liked how you found an irregular device(commoratio)in the story. nice observations.