Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Stunt Pilot

When choosing an essay to read, the words, “Bellingham, Washington,” stood out to me. I thought it would be interesting to read about something that took place in an area close to where I live. The Stunt Pilot is a descriptive essay about a fearless stunt pilot named Dave Rahm. The author, Annie Dillard, uses many devices to allow the reader to feel like they are also flying in the airplane.

When reading the selection, it was obvious to me that Dillard was a poet. Her sentences seem to flow, using schemes and tropes such as metaphors, personification, and other rhetorical devices. Dillard often uses similes to depict Rahm’s flying. “The plane looped the loop, seeming to arch its back like a gymnast . . . . “It played with its own line like a cat with yarn” (pg 89).

Imagery is another important device used when portraying the movement of a stunt pilot. When Annie Dillard got the chance to ride with Rham, she was amazed at the atmosphere she had entered. Annie described the nature from above clearly, “Patches of cloud obscured the snow fleetingly…mountainside coming up at the windows from all directions, ice and snow and rock filling the screen up close and screaming by” (pg 92). Dillard’s sentences are long with vivid word choice, often separated with commas and semi-colons to emphasize the intensity of the moment.

Annie Dillard constantly contrasted Dave Rahm with an artist. The movements he made with his airplane, or “paintbrush,” were a masterpiece. I believe Dillard wanted to show that the pilot’s talent was really an art form. The author had expertly illustrated Rahm’s character. Annie portrayed him as a strong man who never showed emotion. His capability to fly an airplane depended strictly on “matter-of-fact” flying; that he never revealed how he felt, or saw the art he created. His purpose was to entertain the crowd and nothing else.

I found it very interesting that the life expectancy of a crop duster pilot is only five years; that pilots will risk their lives everyday just to experience the exhilaration of flying. I couldn’t imagine any hobby of mine to be worth the expense of my life. But according to Mermoz, the early French aviator, “It’s worth the final smashup.”

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Five year life expectancy?? I believe someone has their statistics confused. I have been in the business along with many others for 40+ years. We have an extremely good safety record and for the hours flown annuallly a very low mortality rate.

Callie R. said...

In response to the above comment...

The statistic was from the essay, i thought it was interesting too. It was written in '89 so maybe the life expectancy rate has changed since then

Hattie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hattie said...

I like how you used statistics! I also like how you talked about your reason for choosing this essay. You made me want to go and read this essay to find out more! Good job!

wang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wang said...

Nice information at the end; I didn't know the life expectancy of a crop duster pilot. Also, nice description of how the author used similes. I also like how you described the author's writing style because of his/her punctuation usage.

michellek said...

Callie,
Your intro. actually really struck a chord with me. Obviously, the author didn't actually intent to make location a rhetorical device, but perhaps it is. As Kyla mentioned earlier, name-dropping can be a device to capture readers. Perhaps the very aspect of familiarity is a device to capture readers?

Rachelle said...

Callie,
Like you said, I can't imagine putting my life at risk to participate in one of my hobbies. I never really looked at the punctuation before, and I thought that you did a great job saying how it intensified the moment. Good job!

Chris said...

That's one thing that struck me was the imagery that Dillard uses to describe Rham's flying. When she uses this coupled with her use of punctuation, Dillard really brings everything to life. I also like your conculsion with the quote. It brings it all together.

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelsey Svaren said...

this was one of my favorite essays in the anthology! I also agree with you about wanting to read it because of Bellingham, Washington. I also agree about how Annie Dillard seems to have a poetic sense as she writes.

Carolyn Ranten said...

Wow, what a way to end. You really had a good conclusion, it was humorous while also being very factual. That is crazy to have a five year life expectancy. I'm in the midst of reading that essay, and it very interesting so far. Your blog makes me want to finish it! Great job!

Connorj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabe said...

There's a lot in this analysis that begs mention. I'd like to comment on how you noted that the author must be a poet, nice touch, how you noticed how the intensity was intensified by semicolons and commas, and, my favorite bit, how you ended the analysis with a thought from yourself and a quote. That was the best bit, in my opinion.

Kyla said...

I also choose to read this essay because it took place somewhere that was close to home. I agree that she tried to show that the pilot's talent was a form of art. In your last paragraph I thought that it was a great way to end your post with a fact like that.